Translate the Linc

Monday, June 10, 2013

E3 Day 1 - EA Games' Press Conference

Joe Hogan here again, guest blogging for another one of your beloved Missing Linc fixes!

Love 'em or hate 'em, nobody can deny that EA is in charge of publishing tons of games that we want, but not without incident. They're constantly at the center of controversy throughout the gaming world, and have been voted America's worst company two years in a row because of their stance on DLC, online play, and a ton of other instances of clashing with the gaming community (Mass Effect 3, anyone?). However, they're only one of two third party publisher that gets their own conference on the main stage! Ubisoft is the only other publisher that can make such a boast! So, what tidings of joy or disappointment did they have to bring to us this E3? Let's jump into the list of games showcased by EA today.

  • Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Third person action title, Xbox One/ Xbox 360)
  • Peggle 2 (...?)
  • Titanfall Xbox (One/Xbox360/PC)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • NBA Live '14
  • Madden NFL 25
  • FIFA '14
  • UFC
  • Battlefield 4
  • Mirror's Edge 2

Peter Moore introduced EA's current next gen game engines, Ignite and Frostbite 3, and then went on to show a TON of in-game footage running on them. I gotta say, I am freakin' impressed.

Though I must say -- I genuinely don't understand the celebrity appearances. As much as I love Aaron Paul, I didn't need to see him at E3. I don't want Need for Speed anymore than I already didn't. It just feels like a weird forced parading of big names on stage to get attention, when in reality, no one is buying FIFA because Drake talked about it at E3.

I'm also unsure of the target audience for the slew of sports game. While they absolutely have their place, I feel the people that are going to buy Madden, FIFA, and NBA Live aren't tuning in live to E3 conferences. But I won't pretend to understand the politics of the gaming industry, so I digress.

My highlight? Come on. Like I even need to say it. Fine, I'll do it.


DICE, on top of developing Battlefield 4 (oh boy, the name confusions were already frequent for me) and Mirror's Edge 2 (sequel to a cult classic that I'm sure a ton of people are excited about), has taken on the game most Star Wars fans have been waiting for since 2005. And I am no exception. I think I can speak for Joe Sorbera as well when I say that so far, this is the most exciting news for us to come out of E3. But it's only the second conference! We've got a long way to go!

So EA conference viewers...what was your favorite game shown?!


Next to take the stage is golden child of third party publishers, Ubisoft! Prepare for an eye-full of Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, and much more! They go live at 3 PM PDT and we'll be on top of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment